There have been a lot of discussions regarding work related deductions in the present. The ATO has published a guide as follows. When completing your tax return, you’re entitled to claim deductions for some expenses, most of which are directly related to earning your income. To claim a work-related deduction:

  • you must have spent the money yourself and weren’t reimbursed
  • it must be directly related to earning your income
  • you must have a record to prove it.

Occupation-specific guides are clearly explained for your understanding on what you can and can’t claim as work-related expenses. The information is categorized under different deduction labels, including:

  • car expenses
  • home office expenses
  • clothing expenses
  • self-education or professional development expenses.

The guides are available for the following occupations:

  • construction worker
  • retail worker
  • office worker
  • Australian Defence Force
  • sales and marketing
  • nurse, midwife or carer
  • police officer
  • public servant
  • teacher
  • truck driver

Reference: Please call us on 0431 658 603 to get advice on occupation specific deductions to maximize your refund.